In the last decades more and more people bring up the longevity of Ikarians. International scientists, have turned their strong interest to learn, what it is that manages to make Ikarians not only centenarians, but also to have very good physical condition and health even at a hundred years old! There are many reports of international networks and Media worldwide, over the life of the inhabitants of this small Greek island. An important distinction is made for the island and the recording of the Blue Zones, a name given in 5 regions of the world ( Ikaria, Sardinia, Okinawa of Japan, Nicoya of Costa Rica and Loma Linda of California, USA), whose inhabitants surpass the life expectancy and reach over the age of 90 years. The centenarians of Ikaria are a good example for everyone who is looking for the secrets of a long and healthy life. But, which is the major factors, that give Ikarians longevity? Researchers have shown, that there are many factors that lead to this longevity:
- good physical condition, due to daily exercise for manual work and rural life. The daily walk of people, which is combined with the mountainous topography of the island ‘s, enhances good physical condition.
- the midday rest, even with a short nap , have proven that protects and improves heart function.
- the Mediterranean diet, they follow a mainly plant-based diet, which consists of a lot of beans, whole grains and nuts and also the pure red local wine.
- Surveys conducted, also showed that a significant factor in the longevity of Ikarians has played the consumption of Greek coffee and tea, as key antioxidants for the body.
- the minimal use of drugs
- there are several thermal springs on the island with a relatively high radium content
- the active sexual activity, even of old people.
- the emotional attachment and strong family and social ties between Ikarian people.
- the relaxed pace of people in their daily lives, without anxiety and stress, full of optimism.